Pages

Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Do not be like Cain

Good morning! Has it been a week already? I don't really know what I have been doing. I have been rather tired lately and that plays a big part in whether or not I feel like sitting at the computer, but I didn't realize that so much time had gone by. It's almost scary to realize that it's been a week since I've been in God's Word...and I didn't even know it. I have been doing the eating plan consistently, but not without its cheats. Darn that Halloween candy!

Today I read about Cain in Genesis 4:1-16. Cain and Abel were very similar from the description given. One was a farmer and the other a shepherd and it seemed both were of mind to sacrifice to God. The problem was that Cain either had the wrong heart in regards to his offering, or he knew he wasn't offering right and didn't care. Either way, God didn't accept his offering and Cain got mad. That's where the verse of the week comes in.
  • Genesis 4:7-If you do what is right, will you not be accepted? If you do not do what is right, sin is crouching at your door. It desires to have you but you must master it.

God tells Cain how to be accepted and instead of taking kindly to that warning, Cain gets angry and in his sin, he kills his brother. He was devoured by his sin. There is also reference to 1 John 1:7 which is a promise similar to the one in Genesis 4:7.

  • 1 John 1:7-But if we walk in the light, as he is in the light, we have fellowship with one another, and the blood of Jesus, his Son, purifies us from all sin.

Cain was warned but didn't heed it. That wasn't wise. He broke fellowship with God and there were consequences. When we don't heed warnings and we give sin a foothold, we can easily be devoured by it. Walk in the light and not only will we have fellowship and we will be purified (accepted) but like Galatians 5:16 says, Walk in the Spirit, and ye shall not fulfil the lust of the flesh.

We have a helper to defeat the crouching sin. We are not expected to go it alone. 1 John 4:4 says that the one who is in you is greater than the one who is in the world. With God as my strength and his Word as my weapon, I can defeat the desire of the flesh that wants to be mindless when eating.

  • God, I don't mean to give in all the time. I want to be healthy. I want to be in good shape and quite honestly I want to fit in all those nice clothes I have waiting for me. I need you to make yourself known to me each time I walk in the kitchen. Remind me how much tastier you are than anything and that if I give Satan an inch, he can take over rather quickly and I don't want that! Thank you for loving me, the wretch that I am.

0 comments: