Pages

Monday, December 8, 2008

Using Scripture to Fight Temptation

COMPARING TWO MEN

Cain - a man, first born, worked the soil, brought some fruits of the soil as an offering to the Lord, the Lord did not look on Cain and his offering with favor, Cain was angry and his face was downcast

Abel - born after Cain, Abel brought fat portions and some of the firstborn of his flock, the Lord looked with favor on Abel and his offering

Cain brought "some". The Bible doesn't indicate anything special about his offering. The Bible is quite clean that Abel brought his best.

The word picture of Genesis 4:7 is very powerful. Sin is crouching - like a hungry animal waiting to pounce on me. Sin itself is hungry for me. Thankfully, the Holy Spirit in us is more powerful than this temptation to sin. I can, we can, overcome temptation!

God has given us His word. When the enemy says:

"Just a little won't hurt."
"Go ahead, you can burn it off when you exercise."
"You deserve it."

I can say with the authority of God's word:

1 John 4:4 You, dear children, are from God and have overcome them, because the one who is in you is greater than the one who is in the world.

Genesis 4:7 "If you do what is right, will you not be accepted? But if you do not do what is right, sin is crouching at your door; it desires to have you, but you must master it."

1 Corinthians 10:13 No temptation has seized you except what is common to man. And God is faithful; he will not let you be tempted beyond what you can bear. But when you are tempted, he will also provide a way out so that you can stand up under it.

Therefore, there really is no excuse for continually falling into this sin.

God, forgive me for making my weakness an excuse when You have given all of Your children Your Holy Spirit and Your Word to fight our fleshly desires for food (or whatever sin) over you. May I use the awesome tools You have given to overcome, to master and to stand up under the temptation to satisfy my deep soul hunger with food. It never satisfies the way You do, Lord. Your Child, Erin

Ladies ~
I'm slow, I know, but I am trying to be steady. Today I did Week 2 Day 3. Today I am on a half day. I want to honor that today. I haven't really been planning my days (except fast day) like I should. I need to implement that this week. Please hold me accountable and ask me how I'm doing. Thanks!

1 comments:

Life With All Boys said...

Hi Michelle! Crazy that you found me and hopefully you'll get this. I'd love to catch up, maybe get together after the new year. I'd love to check out your blog so let me know how to get you my e-mail or leave me yours on my blog. I can delete it right away if you want.

Robin