Pages

Thursday, December 4, 2008

Fasting Today

Lord, as I fast today I desire to be with you. And while I rest my body from food, please purify it as well.

If I continually disobey God, not only am I disobedient, but I am a liar because I claim to have fellowship with Jesus. It is amazing how such things can truly squelch our witness for Christ! Thank God that if we confess - not only will He forgive, He will purify us. A lot of times, especially with food, I don't know if I get to that second step. It's like I don't trust that He will purify me. I know He will forgive, but He wants to purify me too!!

It isn't like I claim to be without sin. . . yet, I do. What I mean is, I avoid confronting the issue. If I don't step on the scale and see how much weight I've gained, or if I don't dwell on how much food I consumed, then I don't have to address the sin. I just sweep it under the rug and don't mention it to myself, God or others. Of course, it is still sin and avoiding the issue simply lets Satan have more of a foothold.

So, now that I think about it, a lot of times I am also not confessing my sin!

1 John 1:9 says, "If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just and will forgive us our sins and purify us from all unrighteousness."

I have to admit that overindulgence is a sin and I have to trust that He will forgive and purify. By not admitting it I am doing what 1 John 1:10 says, "If we claim we have not sinned, we make him out to be a liar and his word has no place in our lives."

I guess what I hadn't addressed is avoiding the subject, ignoring the sin, is just the same as claiming that I haven't sinned!

Thank you, again, Lord, for a new understanding from Your Word today. May I apply it through the day. Please help Sam as she comes off a day of fasting to be moderate with food and immoderate for You. Please be with me and Michelle (I think?) as we seek You rather than food today. I love You, Lord. Your Child, Erin.

0 comments: